Schedule Your Free Consultation

Should I report my car wreck to the insurance company?

The period of time following an accident can be confusing. Suddenly you are dealing with injuries and insurance companies when maybe all you were trying to do was get to work safely. Dealing with the aftermath of a car wreck is not an impossible process, though. Understanding accident and insurance laws in Texas can help you get through this trying period in your life.

First and foremost, you should not wait to get medical care. But do you know whether you need to officially report an accident? Or what kind of compensation you might be eligible for? Here are a few things to keep in mind when you are considering filing a personal injury claim.

When you should report the accident

Police probably investigated the accident if it was serious enough to cause your injuries. If so, then you do not have to report the accident to law enforcement. However, if the police did not respond to your accident, then you have 10 days to file a report.

Not everyone must file a report. If there were no injuries or damage was minimal, drivers may choose to simply exchange insurance information. While you should always exchange insurance information when possible -- even if police investigate -- Texas law only requires that you fill out and file the Crash Report, Form CR-2 if certain requirements are met:

  • Injury
  • Death
  • Property damage exceeding $1,000

Can I really get compensation for my injuries?

Most people do not realize just how debilitating it is to be injured in a car accident. The physical pain and suffering of your injuries is only one part of the equation. If you cannot work or are racking up medical bills, then your finances are suffering, too. In Texas, you can file a claim or pursue a lawsuit against the driver who caused your accident.

If he or she has liability insurance, you should know that there are minimum limits for compensation. For example, $30,000 is the minimum compensation that an insurance company can pay to each injured person. When it comes to property damage, the minimum limit is $25,000. Many insurance companies try to lowball injury victims, so you have the opportunity to reject these offers and even sue the at-fault driver for additional compensation.

Do not forget your own insurance

Getting compensation when the driver does not have liability coverage or is uninsured is more difficult. If you have coverage for underinsured or uninsured drivers, you can file a claim with your own insurance company. You should still be sure to seek medical care right away, but if possible, wait to repair your car. Insurance companies will frequently inspect your vehicle for damages or send you to an approved and covered repair shop.

You probably never thought that you would be involved in an accident. Unfortunately, life is unpredictable, and there are some things -- like reckless drivers -- that are simply unavoidable. If you need help getting compensation after a car wreck, you can speak with an experienced attorney about your options for pursuing a personal injury lawsuit.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Send Email

Schedule Your Free Consultation With An Experienced Lawyer Today

If you have been seriously injured or lost a loved one due to another's negligence anywhere in east Texas, call me, I can help. I will be the one personally handling your case, and you will be able to speak to me when you have questions throughout the process. You may reach my Longview office at 903-704-4375 or by sending an email to arrange your free consultation.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy